HDL-C is High Density Lipo-protein and is considered the GOOD cholesterol. There are some quick and easy ways to raise your HDL-C
Benefits of HDL-C
- helps to prevent dangerous blockages from developing in your blood vessels created by LDL-C (bad cholesterol)
- helps to keep blood vessels widened and dilated which promotes better blood flow. A big plus for weight lifters/bodybuilders
- reduces blood vessel injury through its antioxidant and anti inflammatory properties.
Strategies For Raising HDL-C
- Aerobic exercise has been shown to significantly increase HDL-C levels. In some studies up to 9%. The higher a person’s VO2 max, the increased probability of higher HDL-C levels.
- Proper Nutrition. The forgotten art in this country. The American Heart Association recommends a diet low in saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol and sodium. They also recommend to high amount of fruits, vegetables, whole grain and high fiber foods. Eating higher fat fish such as salmon is encouraged twice a week due to the high concentration of Omega-3 fatty acids. I personally enjoy a higher fat diet. But we aren’t talking the nasty fat. I stick to healthy fats such as salmon, avocado, egg yokes, olive oil, walnuts, almonds and peanut butter. There is a big difference between these good fats, and fried Twinkies and oreos. Fat levels play a huge impact on major hormones such as testosterone. So better not neglect fat intake, and make sure they are the right fats. Mono-saturated fats are the ones to look for in terms of helping testosterone levels.
- Quit Smoking Cigarettes. the more a person smokes the greater the negative effect on HDL-C levels. Once you quit your levels can begin to rise within 2 weeks.
If you are interested in a personalized nutrition/supplementation program to help raise HDL-C and lower LDL-C developed by the Physique Technician Ryan Sullivan please view Sci-Unison Fitness Program details.